You and your kids have loved these items, but now it’s time to let another family enjoy them. Let’s get started with these 3 easy steps!
Grab three tubs or laundry baskets and label them KEEP, SELL, TOSS (FREE printable labels for your convenience. See HERE). Have extra boxes or trash bags on hand if needed.
- The KEEP Tub is for items that you aren’t ready to get rid of yet — maybe you’re thinking of having more kids or maybe the item is too sentimental to part with right now. That’s okay — keep it!
- The SELL Tub is for all the items you want to sell. (Spring or Fall)
- The TOSS Tub is for items that don’t meet JBF standards (see box below) and should be donated to a local charity, re-purposed, or thrown away.
JBF Standards: New or gently used items that are not broken, torn or with missing pieces. A good rule of thumb – “Would I buy this for my child?” If the answer is no or if the item doesn’t meet your standard, then it doesn’t meet ours either.
One at a time, take each item you gathered and make a decision which tub it should go in. As the tubs get full either replace it with an empty tub or put the items in a plastic bag and clearly label it with KEEP, SELL or TOSS.
HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT TO SELL?
Use the 4 C’s rule to know what sells best at JBF:
- Clean — The newer it looks, the better it sells. Wash and clean clothes, shoes, equipment and toys.
- Current — Sell warm weather clothing and shoes at our Spring event, and cold weather clothing at our Fall event. Current styles and fashion are sought after.
- Complete — Toys, games and puzzles must be sold as a complete set. If a key piece is missing then search eBay or Amazon for that piece before selling it at JBF. Items that are not complete should be placed in either your KEEP or TOSS baskets.
- Compliant — All items you sell should comply to current safety guidelines. This is especially pertinent to car seats, cribs, baby equipment and toys. Learn about Recalls & Safety Standards HERE.
When you’re done put aside the KEEP tub and plan to revisit it later. Right now you’re done with this tub.
Take the TOSS tub to your local charity, re-purpose the items, or throw them away. Now you’re also done with this tub.
The SELL tub is now all the items you have for the sale. These items are ready to Price and Prep. Great job!